BREXIT. Right of permanent residence

BREXIT. Right of permanent residence

BREXIT: transitional period and agreement between the European Union and United Kingdom. RIGHT OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE


The European Union and the United Kingdom have reached agreement on the terms that will govern their relations during the transitional period of the ‘Brexit’.

The transitional period begins on March 30, 2019 and ends on December 31, 2020.
Since this period has not yet begun, we advise you to start the necessary formalities to get permanent residence for the national citizens of the United Kingdom who are currently living in Spain.


Right of permanent residence


As the United Kingdom, for now, remains full member of the European Union, all UK nationals have the right to obtain theCertificate of permanent residence of EU citizen.

As an EU citizen, you automatically acquire the right of residence in another EU country if you have lived there legally for a continuous period of five years. If you fulfil this requirement, you can apply for a permanent residence document which confirms your right to live in the country where you now live permanently, without any conditions.

To do so, you must apply for a document certifying your right of permanent residence.
To get this document you must submit proof that you have been living legally for five years by means of supporting documents depending on your situation, employed, pensioner, student and/or EU family members, etc.


  • A valid registration certificate issued upon arrival.
  • Evidence that you have been living in the country, utility bills and/or rental contracts.
  • All documents that prove you have lived and contributed (when applicable) in the country, payslips, bank statements, tax returns, and also documents which show that you have been studying, you are self-sufficient or looking for work.


At newtoMadrid, we can provide you with all the necessary support to get your permanent residence before the beginning of the transitional period. Do not hesitate to contact us.